Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Blankets

So, in lieu of registering for receiving blankets I decided to make some. I started sewing right side to right side, typically a flannel on one side and a cotton on the other, then turning them in and hand stitching a seam. Very simple, plus it makes for a little bit sturdier feeling receiving blanket and they are also large enough to use as swaddling cloths.

Last week though, as my love affair with Francine's Serger continues, I made blankets even easier, 4 in one night while watching a tape of Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars with fun flannel that I found for 99 cents a yard= $1.50 per blanket. The serged edges mean no hand sewing, which while incredibly quick and easy has been a huge area of procrastination for me (just wait for the elephant post). I made a couple lightweight blankets, two cotton prints together, and have also done a cotton/courdoroy blanket. I love that I was able to use some of my mother's old fabric in the blankets and the courduroy is from an old curtain set from either my mom or grandma.

Oh and of course I had to get my husband on board. I felt that he needed to make something as well. What would be easier than the no sew fleece blanket that everyone went nuts for a year back... nothing, so it was into the fleece stash and with an avoidance of the appalling patterns out there where all the dyes seem to run together, I did do a bit of sewing- but ben got to do the rest- not without complaint, he actually wanted to stop halfway through because his back and neck ached a bit. He is such a wuss, I really need to work on him so that he can be a better crafter. No worries though I made him finish it in one go and then got him a beer.

I think I must stop, because we most likely already have too many blankets, but all the fun fabric... but I also have the quilted ones...

No comments: